Saturday, October 1, 2011
Thinking about Reading
On Tuesday night, we had our first class of EDUC 5163: Assistive Technology - Access to Literacy w/ instructor Barb Welsford. One of the things that we spent a bit of time on, and are going to continue to look into is the process of reading. It is essential that we understanding the process of reading if we are going to be helpful to our students that are struggling with reading. In our task of creating a preliminary task analysis of reading, I was shocked by how little time I have ever spent thinking about reading! Since it is something that most of us learn and master at a young age, it is not something that I, as a high school teacher, have investigated. One site that I came across that provided a more general, but still somewhat detailed examination of the reading process was that of "Teaching Language and Literacy K-6: Dr. Janette M. Hughes" (http://faculty.uoit.ca/hughes/Reading/ReadingProcess.html). The site provide me with a taste of the process so now I am looking forward to diving deeper into this task analysis and learning how to support my students effectively!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment